Saturday ,October 25, 2014 02:21

SMA Random Image Block Right


Calendar

S M T W T F S
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 

Links






 

School History


  • History of St. Mary's

Before a central high school was built in the Municipality of the District of St. Mary's, several rural schools housed grades primary to twelve. St. Mary's Rural High School was officially opened in 1953. It was the first centralized school in the area and housed grades seven to twelve. The rural school houses then consolidated schools housing grades primary to six.

In 1989 a new high school was built and what was once St. Mary's Rural High School became St. Mary's Elementary School. Six consolidated elementary schools closed and all elementary students across St. Mary's were bused to Sherbrooke to attend classes.

At the beginning of the 1999-2000 school year, the name of St. Mary's Rural High School was changed to St. Mary's Academy. St. Mary's Elementary became St. Mary's Education Centre. The schools were given their current structure as the Academy housed grades eight to twelve and the Education Centre grades primary to seven.

St. Mary's Timeline

1953 - In September, St. Mary’s Rural High School opened its doors to students in grades seven to twelve from over thirty rural communities in the Municipality of St. Mary’s. For the first time, students in the area were able to attend a centralized school and obtain an education on the secondary level. Rural schools in several communities which had once housed students from grade primary to twelve were converted into elementary schools housing grades primary to six.

On Saturday, November 14, 1953 at 8:00 p.m., St. Mary’s Rural High School was officially opened by the Honorable Henry D. Hicks, Minister of Education. The cover of the official opening booklet read:

“Train up a Child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” - Proverbs 22:6

1969 - The school was expanded to include a new library, business education section, music room, home economics department, and three new classrooms.

1970 - A new drafting room was added to the school’s Industrial Arts Complex.

1972 - As a means to promote bilingualism, a new language lab was built.

1982 - The Spartan was adopted as the offical school mascot for St. Mary’s Rural High School.

Also in 1982, the official school colours for St. Mary’s Rural High School were changed to blue and white from the original green and gold which had been used since 1953.

1989 - A new St. Mary's Rural High School made of brick was built overlooking the beautiful St. Mary’s River next to the site of original high school. The building that once served as the area’s secondary school became St. Mary's Elementary School. In the same year, six consolidated elementary schools across the Municipality of St. Mary's were closed. Thereafter, students in grades primary to six came to Sherbrooke to attend classes in the newly renovated and refurbished elementary school.

1993 - Green and gold were reinstated as the official colours of the Home of the Spartans.

1999 - St. Mary's Rural High School was renamed St. Mary’s Academy. St. Mary’s Elementary School became St. Mary's Education Centre. The 1999-2000 school year also marked the first time that grade seven students did not attend St. Mary’s Academy. St. Mary’s Education Centre housed grades primary to seven. Students in grades eight to twelve have since attended St. Mary’s Academy.

2000 - The St. Mary's Recplex opened its doors just a short distance from St. Mary’s Academy. The multi-purpose community facility has since served to enhance the school’s fitness and intramural programs.

2002 - The first indoor high school hockey game in the history of the Municipality of St. Mary’s was played by the St. Mary’s Academy hockey team at the Recplex.

2007 - Located within the school, the St. Mary's Fitness Centre was opened with funding from the Strait Regional School Board, Municipality of the District of St. Mary's and Nova Scotia Department of Health Promotion and Protection.

2012- SMEC amalgamated with SMA to become St. Mary's Education Centre/Academy

2013- Two buildings combined into one P-12 facility

 


  • St. Mary's Academy Mission Statement

 

The mission of St. Mary’s Academy; a caring family community, is to facilitate a positive learning environment by building confidence, motivating students to achieve their potential, and encouraging curiosity, as we prepare our citizens to achieve their full global potential.

 


  • School profile
    • Population: 155
    • Grades- 8-12
    • Course and program offerings- Highschool